FAQs on the subject of export authorizations

You can find the countries for which you require an export license on the BAVG page under Third Countries or on the Consumer Health Communication Platform. If the third country you are looking for is not listed there, please contact theforeign trade offices of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber or clarify the import conditions via the importer or the local customer.

Appropriate knowledge of the requirements for export to the desired third country, including knowledge of the specific export conditions for the products or product groups applied for, is a prerequisite for the application. You can find more information about export requirements of third countries on thecommunication platform consumer health or please inform yourself at theforeign trade offices of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber or clarify the import conditions via the importer or the customer on site.

The application for an export authorization is submitted online via theVIS(Consumer Health Information System).

See: https://www.bavg.gv.at/ausfuhr-export/erteilung-von-ausfuhrberechtigung/antragsstellung as well as the user manual.

To apply in the VIS, you need access data, which can be requested on theVIS website.

Export to third countries that require an export license is usually possible if the establishment has been approved and listed by the third country and/or by the competent authority. Often the third country provides the lists of approved establishments on the website of the competent authority. Only the application or transmission of the documents or successful completion of an audit is not sufficient. Goods may only be shipped after receipt of the corresponding approval.

We would like to point out that regulations and framework conditions of third countries can also change at short notice. If an export license is required for the export of goods

of third countries for the export of goods according to § 51 Food Safety and Consumer Protection Act(LMSVG) is required, a new contact or application can be made.

Current information can be found on the communication platform Consumer Health or please contact the foreign trade offices of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber.

FAQs on the subject of official certificates and attestations

The term "domestic animal" used in this section corresponds to the term "pet animal" according to § 4 Z 3 Federal Act on the Protection of Animals - Animal Protection Act (Federal Law Gazette I No. 118/2004) and is intended to be better understood by the public.

For information on leaving Austria with a pet, please contact the foreign representation of the country to which you wish to travel with your pet. A list of foreign representations in Austria can be found on the homepage of the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs.

If you find out that an official veterinary certificate is required for the departure, please contact the veterinary authority at a district administration or at the magistrate. If a third country wants to have a document issued by an official veterinarian additionally certified by an Austrian authority, you can apply for this at the BAVG.

Please also note the requirements for re-entry into Austria, if you want to bring the pet back to Austria.

The costs for a certificate are made up of the following items from the current BAVG fee schedule:

1 x administrative fee for issuing an official certificate
1 x authentication
per product 1 x product surcharge

See: BAVG_fee tariff

The costs for notarization can be found in our current BAVG fee schedule.

The costs for the product surcharge per product can be found in our current BAVG fee schedule.

If documents are not submitted in full, if there are other queries to be clarified by BAVG, if an internal plausibility check is necessary or similar criteria that deviate from the processing of a standard application, a one-time lump sum of EUR 57.50 will be charged.

BAVG will send the advance fee notice to the company address provided at the time of application (by e-mail or post).

Each certificate has a business number, which is also shown identically in the fee schedule.

An application must be submitted via the BAVG website.

See: Official certificates - Application - BAVG.

A selection should be made there as to whether a certificate from the BAVG is desired, or whether a certification by the BAVG should be made on the original document.

1. timeliness of the expert opinion (maximum 1 year old on the date of the application),

2. issue of the expert opinion by an authorized person and their signature with reference to § 65, or § 72 or § 73 LMSVG,

3. the expert's area of expertise is covered for the product

Opinions may be handwritten, signed by verifiable e-signature, or signed with an official signature.

See: Electronic signatures

Agency according to § 65 LMSVG

  • investigative bodies of the Länder pursuant to § 72 LMSVG
  • persons authorized to do so pursuant to § 73 LMSVG

Processing will take approximately one week, provided the application is complete and all necessary documents have been submitted correctly.

The certificate will be sent to the contact person who submits the request on our website or to another shipping address specified separately in the request.

If necessary, applications can be cancelled if they have not yet been processed and charged. Credit notes for incorrectly applied for official certificates and already issued certificates, can unfortunately not be issued.

You will be notified by BAVG if the submitted documents are not complete or verifiable, or if other criteria to be met are missing.

You can upload as many files as you like. Please note that a file may be max. 64 MB in size.

If a file is to be removed from the application form, this can be done in the "Remove file(s)" field.

If a duplicate is required, this will be stamped with a duplicate stamp and charged under the duplicate item in accordance with the current fee schedule.
For several original documents, the entire fee is charged for each individual certificate in accordance with the current BAVG fee schedule.

The following documents can be notarized by BAVG:

  • Documents issued by the BAVG (certificates,...)
  • Documents issued by the following experts for food, drinking water, consumer goods and cosmetics:
  1. the Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety GmbH(AGES)- issued by AGES experts,
  2. the food testing laboratories of the provinces of Carinthia and Vorarlberg
  3. with an authorization according to § 73 LMSVG
  • Documents issued by official veterinarians
  • Documents issued by the provincial governments in indirect federal administration relating to the food and veterinary sector
  • Documents issued by the BMSGPK, Consumer Health and Veterinary Division

The following documents cannot be notarized by the BAVG:

  • Internal company documents
  • Documents issued by veterinarians other than official veterinarians
  • Documents issued by the Austrian Federal EconomicChamber (WKO) or similar associations or professional organizations
  • Documents in connection with animal feed (expert opinion from AGES or similar) (responsibility of the BMLRT)
  • Documents confirming the hygiene standards and quality assurance of companies (e.g. GMP, HACCP etc.)

For a certificate, the relevant expert opinions and test reports must be uploaded, in which the products to be exported are clearly stated and defined.

The BAVG does not carry out an examination of the content. It merely checks whether the expert opinion was issued by an authorized person and whether other formal criteria are met. Only passages that are stated in the expert opinion are included in the certificate.

If formal criteria are not met in the expert opinion, the BAVG reserves the right to refrain from issuing an official certificate.

Information on whether an official certificate is required for export to a third country can be obtained from the foreign representations of the country to which you wish to export. A list of foreign representations in Austria can be found on the homepage of the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs.

See: Search for foreign representations in Austria (BMEIA )
Information from the Consumer Health Communication Platform: Exports to third countries

On the competence of other federal offices:

No, harmonized conditions for intra-Community trade apply within the EU.

This page has been translated using translation software. In case of doubt, the German version of this website shall apply.